Somerville Massachusetts History
The great Blizzard of 1978 lasted two days in Boston on February 5 and 6, 1978, and the streets were lined with trees. Massachusetts Route 28 passes through East Somerville and separates it from the rest of the city. The area where Rt. 28 hits Somerville Ave., including the intersection with the old railroad tracks on the east side of the city, as well as the city's main street.
Somerville is also home to the Somerville Theatre, which houses the SOMerville branch of the Museum of Bad Art and hosts an independent film festival in Boston each spring.
The habit of reviving history is also a pastime in Somerville, with the Municipal Museum of Bad Art and the Museum of Bad Arts both housed in their own buildings. This historic building is the first of its kind in Boston and provided a new home for several churches in SOMerville and Cambridge that were on the verge of closure due to the closure of their original buildings in the early 20th century. Former Boston Public Library President Fred H. "Bubba" Smith erects a sign outside his office as part of an exhibition at the Massachusetts Historical Society in Cambridge on March 18, 1939.
In 1792, Barrell moved to Cobble Hill as a trader and exporter, which he named Pleasant Hill from his native Boston. In December 1816, he purchased the former Joseph Barll estate at the corner of Main Street and South Street in Somerville for $5,000.
Prospect Hill raised the first flag of the American colonies from the Revolution Fortress, known as the Citadel. In January 1776, Citadel and Prospect Hill housed the most heavily fortified US military base in the country and the largest organized US military base in Massachusetts. The hill was the scene of a great battle between the United States and Great Britain during the Revolutionary War, the Battle of Bunker Hill.
Shortly after, Charlestown was connected to Boston's Cochituate system, and Somerville tried to buy into the mystical system, but did not. After the revolution, the radial strike network in Somville was expanded with the construction of the Boston Bridge between Cambridge and Charlottesville. During early industrialization, new roads were added to Somerton through residential areas and convenient connections to and from Boston. This made the city an attractive destination for industrial development, which is still true today.
Cambridge Water Works was founded in 1852 and began serving the city in 1857. In 1858 it supplied water to the Bleachery Company of Somerville, which the city of Cambridge continued until the purchase. 1864. The city of Charlestown was authorized in 1866 to supply water to Somville and Malden, but nothing was done until an 1868 law gave Somerton the right to install and maintain its own distribution network.
The Mystic Water System was acquired by Boston and had its own board at the time, but it was incorporated into the City of Boston in 1874. The first settlements in the area were in the Charlestown area, which officially included what is now Somerville, which was first settled around 1630 as part of this settlement. In 1864, after being incorporated as a city, it founded its own towns at the same time as the city of Cambridge, Malden and Somerton.
Historically, Somerville included less desirable rail and industrial countries that had been displaced by the expansion of the Boston and New York light rail and the New England Railroad. Porter Square, just outside the Cambridge border, is home to a large number of public buildings, including the Massachusetts State House, which provides access to the city's public schools and other public facilities. It is also accessible by train and offers easy access to Boston, Boston University, the University of Massachusetts Medical School and Boston College.
Prospect Hill Park, worth a look, is home to a number of historic buildings, including the Massachusetts State House, Boston Public Library and Harvard Medical School.
Volume 2, L.W., published 1879 - 1880, and Volume 3, B. W., 1884 - 1890, published by Geo. Volume 1, H.L.R.E. and Volume 4, A.D. (1885 - 1887), published by Geo, Boston, with Volume 2 (L, W.) published between 1878 and 1881, both in Boston.
In the 17th and early 19th centuries, Washington Street, along with Somerville Avenue, formed a route that was used by Middlesex County dairy farmers as the best way to get to the markets in Charlestown and Boston. The tram operated between Boston and Medford on the west side of the Boston River, between Washington and Broadway. The worship went along Broadway, also known as Winter Hill Road or Medford's Road.
In 1838, the Charlestown, MA, authority paid $400 for the right to build a two-story wooden engine house at the corner of Washington Street and Prospect Street in an area now owned by Somerville. The earliest highway in Salto was built in the mid-1630s and led from what is now Sullivan Square to Harvard Square. It was probably part of what is now Washington Street and probably the earliest of the early highways in Somville, which ran from the Boston River to what is now Boston Harbor and led to Cambridge, Massachusetts. Traffic on the Middlesex Canal began in Lowell and headed south to East Somerton, where several historic markings can be seen today. There is an overpass separating this historic neighborhood from its current location in the city of Boston, just south of Broadway.